SRM Certificate Program
The Sustainable Risk Management™ (SRM) Certificate program, with Stephen Bushnell, includes four online, on-demand video modules, in self-study format. This is an "on-demand" program that includes embedded quizzes and testing within each online video.
Each student who purchases the SRM Certificate Program and completes the video modules and testing will receive a customized Certificate of Sustainable Risk Management.
This program provides a comprehensive framework and strategy for profiting from green building and identifying, evaluating and mitigating the challenges arising at the intersection of risk and sustainability.
What is Sustainable Risk Management?
The well-known concept of Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) has historically viewed sustainability and green buildings as a "downside risk" to be managed.
However, this is changing with the understanding that sustainability and green building can boost profit, increase value and reduce risk. As climate risk becomes a mainstream concern, changing how we view ERM becomes even more important.
The Sustainable Risk Management™ (SRM) program is designed for professionals in any business field who wants to learn about the important and rapidly changing landscape of climate, green risk and enterprise risk management.
The SRM Certificate Program explores the following:
- Adapting conventional ERM to green and sustainable practices
- Reviews of current and future green risks
- Considerations of how insurance companies are (or are NOT) quantifying, underwriting and mitigating risk
- Evaluates green risk transfer and green risk management techniques
- Introduces sustainable business, green building design and operations practices that directly mitigate risk
- Examines resilience as a concept for adding value
This SRM Certificate Program provides empirical proof that green buildings present less risk than conventional buildings. It also introduces green insurance concepts and coverage and outlines how insurance premiums may be reduced through sustainable business practices.
The SRM Certificate Program also presents the combination of ERM and resiliency principles as the most effect tools to adapt to changing climate risk. The program culminates with a final quiz and a Certificate of Sustainable Risk Management (SRM) for successful completion.
Comprehensive Online Self-Study Program:
The program consists of four modules, each exploring a different facet of sustainability and risk management:
- Module 1: The Sustainable Risk Management Process: Explores the strong connections between risk management and sustainability and how a risk management analysis process can also be used to develop sustainability plans and strategies. Evaluates a framework for the Sustainability Risk Management Process and how it can support the creation of effective plans to both mitigate risk and maximize sustainable benefits.
- Module 2: Green and Sustainability Risks and Opportunities: Reviews the risk related characteristics of green buildings and sustainable operations. Evaluates how green features and sustainability programs can reduce risk. Identifies specific ways in which green features and sustainable business practices result in improved risk management techniques.
- Module 3: Green Insurance: Examines how typical insurance policies address green buildings and sustainable operations. Explores green building insurance products, features and benefits and key coverage provisions. Discusses "what's on the horizon" for new green insurance products.
- Module 4: Climate Risk Management: Examines new and increased risks brought on by climate change and catastrophic events. Asks: How does climate risk impact investments, organizations, governments and the insurance industry? Why climate risk should be viewed from a risk management perspective, without hype or opinions. Discusses resilience as a climate risk mitigation/adaptation best practice. Asks: Why are major U.S. cities and Fortune 500 firms advocating for resilient buildings and communities? And, how can you build resilience into your risk management and sustainability plans and strategies.
About Your Instructor:
Stephen Bushnell is a highly experienced insurance and risk management professional with more than 40 years of underwriting, marketing, product development, management and leadership experience at various property and casualty insurers - most recently as Senior Director for Commercial Insurance and Fireman’s Fund Insurance Company (part of the Allianz Group).
Mr. Bushnell is widely recognized as a risk-focused expert on green buildings, sustainable manufacturing and operations, and the broader business, economic and risk management implications of climate, energy and other sustainability challenges.
He holds the CPCU (Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter) and ARM (Associate in Risk Management) designations in addition to an MBA in Sustainable Business. Steve has served on the USGBC National Board Director since 2011.