Net Zero Buildings LEED CE Course
Buildings are currently the biggest energy consumers and carbon producers in the U.S. Because NetZero buildings produce as much energy as they consume, such projects are a potentially exciting and sustainable solution to this problem. This course is designed for professionals who want to learn the basics of NetZero building. This course fulfills 1 Continuing Education Credit Hour for LEED CMP.
The NetZero buildings online CE course outlines what a NetZero building is, including their benefits and various initiatives designed to promote their development and construction. The course will also explain the strategies used to design and construct these buildings, such as:
- Natural ventilation
- Passive solar
- Geothermal heat pumps
- Cool roofs
- High efficiency building envelopes and
While NetZero buildings are well-suited to certain types of climates, NetZero buildings exist in many different regions including many states across the U.S. This course will help you determine the average costs and return on investment (ROI) for a NetZero building and evaluate the various NetZero building certification options, including the Living Building Challenge and Net Zero Energy Building certification, and will discuss how such design could contribute to LEED certification.
This course will examine several real world case studies of NetZero buildings and analyze the lessons learned from them. Case studies include:
- Richardson Elementary School in Bowling Green, Kentucky
- Integrated Design Associates (IDeAs) Z Squared Design Facility in San Jose, California
Many NetZero case studies have shown that the actual occupant loads and on-site renewable energy production are often higher or lower than expected, so the design case often varies from the building’s actual performance.
Course Name: NetZero Buildings
Course Id: N/A
Category: Energy and Atmosphere
CE Hours: 1
LEED Specific: No
- Describe what a Net Zero building is, including the goals, features and benefits of a Net Zero building, as well as introduce various Net Zero initiatives.
- Evaluate various strategies to design and construct a Net Zero building.
- Determine the average costs and return on investment (ROI) for a Net Zero building.
- Evaluate the various Net Zero building certification options.
- Analyze the lessons learned from Net Zero buildings recently constructed.
- Discuss several real world case studies of Net Zero buildings recently constructed.
About the Instructor:
David Pratt is a Professional Mechanical Engineer in the State of Texas, and also a Certified Energy Manager and LEED AP. He has a Bachelor of Science in Engineering from the University of Michigan and a Master of Science in Engineering Management from the Air Force Institute of Technology. David has over 12 years of experience in Civil and Mechanical Engineering, Construction and Sustainable Design and is a frequent contributor to Green Buildings Online.
Save 25% - Get the Net Zero Buildings eBook and Net Zero Buildings online green building/LEED continuing education course for only $13.95! >>Learn more